I missed the train. Not a big deal. Called my viola teacher to see if I could come a bit later. No problem, the lesson would be a little shorter, but I could still make it to my tutoring session on time.
Missed the second train. stink. This one I got to just as it was leaving the station. Left a message with my German tutor to see if we could meet later or tomorrow so I could still make it to viola lessons today. Called viola teacher again, and had to tell her I missed the train- again. It turned out for the best since we set up a double lesson for tomorrow to make up for next week when she won't be in town. Also had time to take my viola to the church so I would not have to carry it around Giessen to my German session. good.
Got on the next train to head to my tutoring session. This train did not stop at the stop I wanted to get off at. weird. No problem, I could take a bus and I still had time to get a free coffee (iced mocha with peppermint- delish!) at my favorite coffee place.
German tutor called, got my message from earlier, and said it would actually be better for her if we met tomorrow instead of today. OK.
In Giessen, No appointments. Work at home I could/should be doing. hmmm. What to do.
Called a friend to see if she had time to meet up later. Unfortunately she was sick. bummer. (mostly for her, it's not fun being sick!).
Since I had time, I walked a couple of blocks to a dollar store-like shop and bought some things for a friend's birthday party later this summer.
Walked a few more blocks to the pedestrian shopping area in Giessen. Found an air-conditioned store and enjoyed the coolness. I found a movie I have been wanting to see for sale for less than the cost of a rental. score.
Walked a bit further and tried on dresses for an event later this summer. Did not find one that was both formal without being prom like and in my budget, but had fun playing dress-up. :)
I walked a bit further and checked at the book store for a grammar book. They did not have the one I needed. oh well.
Almost took a bus a this point, since I was heading to an other part of town, but was considering stopping for my haircut along the way since I was in town with time anyway. I ended up not stopping, but by the time I decided, I was past the bus stops where it would have been worth it to pay for a ticket. oh well.
As I was walking, my bag was getting heavier (music books, grammar book, reading book, and regular purse stuff). I was then really thankful I was able to leave my viola in the church.
Went into a store to check their prices on storage container and found out they saw they did not have any. Right after I left store, I realized I lost my black cardigan. stink. Retraced steps to no avail. Realized I probably lost the cardigan somewhere between trying on dresses and walking the 20 blocks to where I was now. double stink.
Walked across parking lot to the next store. Found lots of storage containers, including color options, and came face to face with my indecisiveness. Sent mom a text message with a photo asking for her opinion. Walked around waiting to hear from her (still haven't heard from her), found even bigger and cheaper storage containers! score. Checked out and had time to read before I was picked up.
Went to next store to get ink. Had my brand, but not the right one. oh well. Housemate had idea to get pizza for dinner. smart housemate. I somehow picked up wrong box of pizza, which thankfully my housemate noticed as we were in the check-out line. I started to run back to switch boxes since we were next in line. I took 6 fast steps, and fell, loudly, in front of several other customers. I was not bleeding and did not die from embarrassment. good. I got up, jogged a bit slower to get right pizza (in the opposite corner in one of the few American sized grocery stores in town), jogged back, checked out. ok.
We picked up our other housemate and drove home.
I forgot to stop by the church to get the viola. sigh. Drove back to church, and drove my housemate to the train station in town so she could get her bike. Forgot key to church, thankfully my housemate had hers with her. great.
Got viola, drove home. Pizza was already in the oven. nice.
Dinner al fresco on the terrace.
Today could have been awful. I could have let every little thing that did not go according to plan, which was a lot, upset me.
But after each unexpected thing, or after several, something good happened. I missed the first train, had time to finish writing some letters. Ended up having neither viola nor German today, ended up having time to study a bit, read my book and do some window shopping. I lost my sweater, hm, ok, that one is just stinky. As I waited on my mom's response, I found better containers! I fell in the store, and have something to laugh about. I forgot to get my viola, could give my housemate a ride to where her bike was.
God knew how 'unplanned' my day would be today. I am thankful He helped me take it all in stride, since I am not one who usually takes so many changes all at once in my plans so lightly. But today, I did, well, mostly I did. :)
Today was also a great reminder of one of my favorite verses, Proverbs 16:9,
"We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps." (NLT)There will be more days and situations where what I plan is not the steps God has determined me to take. And that is okay. It is not always easy or comfortable, but better and a lot more interesting!
What a day Kate! Thanks for sharing! I wish I was there to do all that fun wandering and shopping with you. I would even hold your sweater while you try on things so you don't lose it :) Love you!
ReplyDeleteHi Kate, I would have not enjoyed the shopping
ReplyDeletepart at all. The hanging out with you part would
have been great. You are a warm, fun, "real"
person.