Saturday, October 15, 2011

2 Months and 2 Culture Shocks

It has been over two months since I said returned to America after 2 and a half years of living in Germany. Sometimes it feels like longer, sometimes it feels like I just got back yesterday.
One of the more frequent questions people ask me is what the biggest culture shock was for me after I got back. This has been a little hard to answer, since Germany is a western civilization, has electricity, they wear similar clothing, eat similar food, etc. From outward appearances there are not a lot of major differences, almost none in fact.

But two things have stuck out to me just this past week.

The first was realizing how capable I feel again! I got used to feeling incapable in Germany. Used to needing help, used to not understanding everything, used to feeling a bit lost and used to going at a slower pace. Now I completely understand the language, even if I just hear it in the background. I am self-sufficient, I do not need to prepare myself mentally, or run through a vocabulary list, before taking on simple errands like talking with the people at the bank.  I can make 5 phone calls, in a row and all before lunch. I understand the cultural cues. And I look generally less confused than I probably did in Germany.

It's a nice feeling.

The second culture shock was Aldi. 
index_ENU_HTML.htm.gifIn case you were not aware, Aldi is a German grocery chain with stores across Europe and Australia and the United States. I was feeling a bit nostalgic for Germany the other day (a day where it felt like years and not 2 months since I left). I decided to stop by Aldi to get a little feel for Germany. My plan backfired.  It was so different! Instead of having 10 kinds of granola and only 5 types of cereal to choose from, there were 15 types of cereal and no granola! There were more products that would not be found in a German Aldi, and of course many German products not on the shelves. It looked like the same store, same name and layout as the one in Germany, but completely different.

I sure there will be more mini-shocks. The really fun thing is thinking about when I get back to Germany and going through this again! ;)

2 comments:

  1. Kate, I go to our new Ikea for the same reason--to get a taste of Germany! It makes me homesick, but I wallow in that feeling all through out my walk around the store. The only problem is that my brain expects to hear German, so it feels a little wacky to hear English instead. I STILL call it EeKayA just to be stubborn!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just at Ikea last week, and did the same thing- wallowed in feelings of not being in Germany and kept feeling surprised to hear so many people speaking English. :)

      Delete