Someone asked me today if I would still be doing my blog, which was nice to know someone was reading it, and made me realize also how stinking longs it's been since I last posted. But I have been doing a lot of living lately, and while those are usually the times I have the most to blog about, those are also the times I have the least amount of time to do so.
To get back in the routine, I figured I would start re-blogging with today.
My last couple of posts were about 'lasts'. Today was one of the harder ones- my last church service with Christusgemeinde. At least it was the last one for a while and my last one as a church member and citizen of Lich.
On Saturday I spent a lot of time thinking about what I wanted to say to the church as my farewell. Should I share about my memories of the first Sunday here? Should I go back further to my first visit to the church in 2005? How do I narrow down 2 1/2 years to a couple of minutes?
I kept coming back to the word 'Danke' (thank you). And that pretty much summed up the feeling in my heart perfectly. I am so thankful for the 2 1/2 years in the church, 1 of the years working there. It really was no small thing that they allowed me, this foreigner, this American, to not only be a part of the church but to work there too. They entrusted me with several projects, allowed me to start some new things, and helped me feel very welcomed and at home here.
After my pastor shared a few words about and with me, it was my turn to share with the church. I thanked them their patience, their hospitality and the fellowship with them and in the church. (They are all 'G' words in German- I just love alliteration!)
Then it was my turn to listen.
I listened as various people came up front and shared from their hearts-- members of my small group, neighbors and close friends, English Camp co-leaders, church workers and one of my housemates. These were all people that were a part of my life in the last 2 1/2 years, and it was nice to hear that I was a part of their lives too.
One friend, my former neighbor, talked about our first meeting in the laundry room in our apartment house, how I could not speak any German and her English was bad. She thought, as I did, 'how will we ever communicate?' She is now one of my dearest friends and we have had countless conversations, many of them heart to heart conversations- in German! After she shared that, she gave me a pretty necklace, and told me that I am a piece of jewelry too (this sounds weird in English, but super sweet and loving in German).
It really touched my heart hearing everything they shared. I got teary eyed, but my heart was really just too full to cry. I was surrounded by such loving people sharing such wonderful words with me. How could I not be happy?
Since it was my Sunday to do Kids Church, I left right after this and went to look after the pre-school group - also a last at the church for me. But it was also wonderful that I could be with the kids once more and not sit in church thinking the whole time how that was my last church service there.
The afternoon was a continuation of the day with several friends coming over for lunch and staying until shortly before dinner. I have shed a few tears today, but mostly my heart is just too full to cry at the moment. The tears will come, I know myself too well to doubt that. At the latest they'll come at the airport on Wednesday. But not so much today. Today was just too wonderful.
I'm sure in English the "necklace" comment translates into something like what a gem you are. And you truly are!! You will be loved and treasured as the light you are wherever you go-keep shining!! xoxo
ReplyDelete