Thursday, November 26, 2009

1st Thanksgiving in Germany

My first Thanksgiving in Germany! I will be celebrating (aka, eating turkey) on Saturday with some other Americans. I celebrated today by eating homemade pumpkin pie with my class.
Well, the last time I made a pumpkin pie, I went to the store, bought a couple cans of pumpkin puree, a couple pre-made crusts, mixed it all up, baked it and enjoyed. This time the process was a little different. First it included buying some actual pumpkins from the market, then cooking the pumpkins just enough to get the rind off and be able to puree it. I also had to buy the spices, as I am still building up my pantry items and had no need for ginger or cloves before now. Thankfully, I was in a bigger store to buy the spices and one brand of the spices had the English and the German words on the labels. I also searched and found some ready made crust dough, something my German teacher did not know existed and did not understand why since making crust is 'so einfach' (easy).
All in all everything turned out great. Everyone enjoyed the pie and the small taste from America.Below is a picture of one of the pies. (The other one ended up being made in a rectangular dish since I only have one pie tin, but it was just as yummy!)
And here is a picture of what the pie baking process did to my kitchen!
I have so much to be thankful for and a awesome God I am thankful to for giving me so many people and things to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment