Monday, November 9, 2009

My October

In October I used the time off from language school to do some exploring of GEM teams in other parts of Germany.
I started my time away with a short visit to some friends in Belgium. I met them last fall during our training time. It was nice to see some friends from that time and to share our cross-cultural experiences together. It was also a nice couple of days to transition out of language learning and prepare myself for the next few weeks. (Thanks Clay and Megan!)

From there I went to Cologne. There I visited a youth cafe that had just opened, attended the opening night of an art studio and experienced two different types of church services. It was great seeing people using their gifts and abilities to reach out to the city in so many different ways.
It was also nice being in Cologne again. It is quite an impressive city. And while the Dom is the most impressive building in the city,
this is the sign that almost brought tears to my eyes!
(I enjoyed a nice iced coffee with a Boston Creme donut; my Sunday morning treat when I was living in Charlotte)

After Cologne I came home for a few weeks, had a quick Girls Movie Night (American Football theme this time!) and then headed to Kandern in southern Germany to meet the media department of GEM, GemStone Media. It was nice meeting all the people there and seeing a bit of how they are sharing about the need and work in Europe in a creative way. Kandern is only half an hour away from Basel, Switzerland. So we took an afternoon to see Basel and some great Swiss cheese.

October was a nice little break from the classroom and a great time seeing some cool things that are happening in GEM for God. Now I am back in the classroom and continuing to improve my German so I can be ready for whatever God has in store for me next.

No comments:

Post a Comment