This past weekend I went to the movies with some other missionaries, one of whom just arrived back from Austria five days prior.As we were in line getting ready to pay, she turned and ask "How are we going to do this? Just tell the guy we want to sit together but pay separately?"
At first we all just looked at her, confused why the guy needed to know that we want to sit together. Then I remembered German culture (which while distinct, has a lot of similarities to Austrian culture). I told her "You're in America now, there are no assigned seats at the movies."
We all had a nice little chuckle, knowing we have all made those cultural mix-ups, where we mix up the cultural we are in with the other one we are used to. I am glad I was able to clear up the mix-up for her before she confused the poor ticket counter guy with her question. :)
Funny
ReplyDelete