Sigh.... yesterday was my last day of German 1 class. Here is a picture of my classmates and me. (Two of my classmates were not there yesterday, and we have another teacher on Mondays and Tuesdays who is also not in the picture.)
To celebrate this milestone, I thought I would share some of my language learning high and not-so-high points.
High Points-- Speaking on the phone in German- ordered a pizza, setting up an appointment with the bicycle repair man, and talking with friends.
- Compliments from Germans, including my teachers, on my progress.
- Getting the main points (or at least one or two) of a sermon.
- Being able to worship from my heart during a German song (looking forward to this happening more often).
- Making impromptu introductions, and correctly.
- Being able to laugh at jokes and learning a few words I can be 'punny' with (watch out people!).
- Successfully making an exchange at a store by myself.
- Accomplishing German Level 1 class!
Not-so-High Points (but at times funny)-
- Not being understood when I ordered a hamburger (same word- but so different I guess)
- Guessing the wrong article (der, die, das) for the same word for the umpteenth time! (I now LOVE the word 'the'!)
- Saying the weather was 'homosexual' instead of 'humid'.
- Telling someone that I am English, instead of that I speak English (I think I am part English though).
- Getting three bills from the electric company that I mistook for statements.
- Forgetting basic English grammar (though, that happened before I came here...)
I am sure I will have many more high and not-so-high points as I continue learning German. But that just keeps things interesting. Thank you for your prayers. Your prayers help me in the learning process, and also help me to laugh at the many mistakes and stumbles along the way.
WOO HOO! You made it through German 1! I love your highs and lows... its such a good picture for us to see what life is like trying to learn and function in a different language. I'm glad for your many highs - I'm praying that more and more of them come your way! Miss you tons. :) - kate d
ReplyDeletegreat update kate! thanks for sharing. what exciting progress in German! go get em with the jokes too :)
ReplyDeletelove you!
Major milestone! Being able to worship with my whole heart in German has been one of the most meaningful experiences for me. Seeing you with your class makes me wish that I could go back through and go to the next level to improve my language skills. Fun times (albeit stressful) and worth the investment.
ReplyDelete