Friday, October 3, 2008

October Newsletter

School's in Session
I am in week four now of my pre-field training, almost half-way through!
The classes have been great, and I am learning a lot about myself, missions, and how to adapt and live in a new culture. It has also been wonderful to meet other missionaries going to all different parts of the world, from several different agencies. I think the only continent not represented by this group is Australia. Oh, and Antarctica, but I think the penguins will be OK without us.
The topics covered in class range from learning styles, to world views, to expectations we have about the new cultures. Another part of the course is called Heart of the Missionary. Part of this smaller group time is to share more with one another. One of the ways they have us share is to give our 'History'. This was a little difficult for me because it meant sharing my life with people who have not been part of it before (thankfully, I was not first). So last week I gave the 30 minute version of my life story. I am so glad we were asked to do this. Even though I have lived my life story, having to put it together to tell other people helped me re-see all that God has done in my life. It was also special to share about Adam with people who never knew him.
Fall Fun
While I am learning a lot about cross-cultural ministry and living, and myself, I have been having a lot of fun too.
Last week was my 28th birthday (yes, I am in my late 20's now!). My roommate and another friend blindfolded me and took me into the little town nearby and surprised me with a party at a local paint-you-own-pottery place! It was a great time of fellowship, and cake, with all the other women here. And I have a cute little memento to always remind me of that birthday and my time here at CIT. 
Pictures and Prayers
Please see the side bar for current prayer requests and for pictures from my birthday party!
Blessings!

4 comments:

  1. Very cool blog ~ And Happy Belated Birthday! Love, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate, Happy belated Birthday! Wish I could've joined in at your celebration at the pottery place. The picture looks like it was a splendid time - love that they had your name up on the chalkboard in the background! Blessings upon your October and the year ahead that God has blessed you with!
    What did you paint for your memory?
    Hey late 20's is not so bad, I met you when I was 25 and now I'm heading towards mid thirties!
    Love to you, Kathie Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you're doing well but I have to say I miss you! Will there be time for a movie night before you leave for Germany?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to know CIT is going well for you Kate! We continue to pray!
    Doug Bozung, GEM

    ReplyDelete