Monday, August 25, 2008

English Camp de-brief

I am now preparing for my next step with the mission process, but wanted to be sure I updated everyone about some of the fun details from the English camp trip this summer.

I flew to Germany a few days before the rest of our 7-member team. I told them I was going early to help the German set up and make it an easier and quick transition for the rest of the team. Really I went early because I couldn't wait to get back to Lich!

The camp theme for the week was Native Americans, which was a big hit with the children. My students were the second youngest in age (9&10 yr olds) and beginners in English. As the week progressed, they got more comfortable with me, and I with them, and they began to understand more of what I was saying. There were several bright spots in the week from my students. The first bright spot was when on the first day some of the girls in our class asked me to sit with them at lunch. Later in the week one of the girls brought me a bracelet she had made in her workshop, and she gave it to me! At the end of the week, after our big party for the parents, she presented me with the matching necklace. The set is now one of my favorite pieces of jewelry. 

The rest of my team had to leave for their flight before church on the Sunday following the camp. I was able to stay for the church service since I was traveling separately to Austria for my missions conference afterwards. It was such a blessing to be able to attend that service. Several of the children who were not previously a part of the church returned that Sunday with their families. I got to help with the camp song one last time and listen (via a translator) to the pastor share a message about God's loyalty and love to everyone.

Our team was very small. And while the week was quite tiring and required long days of work and late nights of preparation, it was wonderful to see God working through all of it. Thank you for your prayers, God really showed up and in our weakness, and tiredness, he worked it all out to produce a great English camp experience for the students and for us too!

1 comment:

  1. It's awesome to hear how the Lord worked through you and the rest of the team, albeit small in number. It sounds like the children really "got it" and were blessed by your presence and hopefully their parents were too!

    Lisa Carter

    ReplyDelete